How to Spot an Impaired Driver
Drivers who are impaired by fatigue, drugs, alcohol or other distractions such as cell phones,
are a danger not only to themselves, but also to the innocent drivers around them.
If you witness any of the behaviors below, call 911 and tell the operator that you are calling to report an impaired driver.
Be prepared to describe the make, model, color and license plate number of the vehicle, and provide its exact location.
Signs of impaired driving include:
- Failure to turn on headlights at night
- Illegal or sudden turning
- Turning within an unusually wide radius
- Nearly striking other cars or objects
- Sudden or erratic braking
- Drifting, swerving or weaving
- Driving with the face close to the windshield
- Drinking alcohol in the vehicle
- Driving much slower than the posted speed limit
- Rapidly accelerating
- Driving in the middle of the road, or with the left tires on the center line
- Responding slowly to traffic signals